Health Alert Update: The World Needs to Stop Moving for 4 Weeks
Coronaviruses such as COVID-19 are spread mainly from person to person through close contact, for example, in a household, workplace or health care centre. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses. But, if you develop symptoms of a fever with a temperature 100°F/38°C or higher, cough or difficulty breathing call the public health authority , 1 866 797-000 to inform them. They will provide advice on what you should do.
Online Screening Available at Provincial Websites
Mass testing is one of the key preventative measures and more tests the safer we are. Social distancing rules are in effect with travel for essential services only to prevent imported cases. A national self-assessment tool has been set by the Government of Canada at this link and is adapted for all provinces.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- Sneeze and cough into your sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth unless you have just washed your hands.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Self-quarantine if you are sick.
Allergies Sufferers? Confused ?
Here is a great article on the differences between COVID-19 versus allergies and the flu on USA Today. Take these everyday steps to reduce exposure to the virus and protect your health:
Clean high-touch surfaces and objects often
Viruses can live on surfaces for several days. Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces and objects can reduce germs and prevent infection. You should clean at least once a day, or more if needed.
Clean and disinfect items like doorknobs, light switches, railings, toilets and tabletops daily. Wash with soapy water first. Then disinfect using household cleaning products, following the directions on the label, or a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water.
- Disinfect phones, remote controls, computers and other handheld devices with 70% alcohol or wipes.
- Wash or launder clothing, sheets and towels on a regular basis.
- Dispose of garbage on a regular basis. Wash hands after.